Conference sessions, breaks, and registration will be held at the Memorial Union. As one of the most beloved and historic destinations at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, Memorial Union is the place to come and socialize, relax, study, eat, and enjoy all the beautiful sunsets over the lake Madison has to offer.
Since opening its doors in 1928, the Union has offered a variety of social education activites for students, faculty, Wisconsin Union Members, and the greater Madison community. Amoung its many treasures, the building houses a 1,200 seat theater, Strada Italian Cuisine, Carte Soups & Salads, the Daily Scoop Ice Cream Bar, Badger Market, Peet’s Cooffee, Der Rathskeller German-Style Tavern, Wheelhouse Studios, Wisconsin Hoofers, rotating art exhibitos, and plentiful study and meeting space.
Memorial Union Terrace
One of the most cherished parts of the Memorial Union is the Terrace. Situated on the shores of Lake Mendota, the Terrace functions as a great place to enjoy a beautiful day, grab a beer with friends or colleagues, sunbathe or swim off the pier, and catch one of Madison’s stunning sunsets. When the Terrace was first envisioned in the fall of 1928, it was thought to serve as a fun meeting place, a sort of “undergraduate playground.” Those same sentiments have carried on today as the Terrace is the perfect spot for students, faculty, parents, alumni, and community members to come together and enjoy.
After a renovation in early 2016, the Terrace enjoys expanded seating, extended grilling, increased shoreline and lakefront views, and additional food options.
Conference Management and the Wisconsin Union strive to promote sustainable conferences and events and we ask our conference guests to help us in those efforts.
Some of our efforts for greener meetings:
- We have replaced some plastic usage with compostable fiber plastic made from renewable sources for all our food service needs.
- 100% post-consumer content nametags.
- Biodegradable nametag holders & recycling bin at conference headquarters.
- Recycling bins located at all meals and on every floor of meeting site.
- Water cambros at all meals vs bottled water (bring your water bottle to use!)
- Surplus food onated to local food banks.
- Online registration & electronic registration information & communication.
We are very proud of these changes and will continue to make future decsions based on alternative sources and enviromental stewardship!